Do complex data tasks and growing compliance concerns prevent your organization from elevating the level of healthcare services it offers?
When you’re bogged down by manual procedures, the quality of your services suffers. Healthcare process automation can simplify critical administration tasks and put valuable time back into your day to focus on patient care.
Let’s explore the top healthcare process automation tips to cut costs and simplify your healthcare operations.
Healthcare process automation tips
The same inefficiencies tend to plague healthcare organizations. These include:
- Manual data entry tasks eat up hours of time and lead to frequent mistypes and errors
- Paper forms make it difficult to keep track of sensitive patient data
- When audits occur, teams scramble to find documentation
These are just a few of the problems automation can solve. Here are some healthcare process automation tips to streamline your business.
Want to learn more about healthcare process automation? Start with a business process improvement assessment.
Switch to electronic health records (EHR)
Collecting and managing patient data from various medical groups and insurance companies can prove time-consuming. Retrieving information about a single patient from multiple sources eats up valuable time that you could allocate toward patient care.
With electronic health records (EHR), all patient information is centralized. An automated EHR system lets you access patient charts, progress notes and managed claims from a secure tablet or computer and share data with other staff, hospitals and labs. It completely cuts out the need to manually copy data from one system to another.
Here are some ways EHR automation can benefit your business:
- Cut down on patient wait times
- Reduce medical errors by centralizing access to patient data and sending error prevention alerts
- Lower transcription costs
- Reduce chart pull, storage and re-filing costs associated with physical patient records
Automate administrative tasks to increase productivity
Healthcare employees spend a good portion of the day processing claims and entering patient data into various systems. Staff members have a limited amount of bandwidth to complete these tasks. And when you have thousands of pieces of data to process every month, errors and missed deadlines can become commonplace.
One of MXOtech’s healthcare clients, MSO Great Lakes, was spending hours per day manually copying data from an EMR system into a Complex Case Management (CCM) web portal. They experienced low productivity, long hours and frequent data entry errors that damaged their business.
MXOtech built an integration framework to connect the two medical systems using Microsoft BizTalk and SQL Server. The automated solution securely exported information from one system, parsed the data and loaded it into the CCM portal.
As a result, MSO Great Lakes eliminated a time-consuming manual process and reduced costly data entry errors. Staff was able to reallocate their time to areas they cared about – like improving patient care.
Automate healthcare compliance to prepare for audits
Remaining compliant (and being able to prove it) is a critical part of running your healthcare facility, whether it’s a large hospital or small doctor’s office. When audits occur, your staff doesn’t have the time to dig through records trying to validate compliance.
The right automation tool will let you perform security risk analysis assessments and run instant reports that show compliance.
For example, Microsoft SharePoint now features a tool called Advanced Security Management to help healthcare businesses stay compliant with HIPAA. The feature automatically detects if data that a staff member uploads contains sensitive information such as PHI (protected health information) and can either block it or alert the end user.
Automation tools remove the need for paper trails, email tracking and complex spreadsheets when it comes to healthcare audits. Tools like SharePoint can examine your data, records, operations and performance and present findings in a single report to protect your organization from breaches and penalties.
When you streamline the compliance process, you reduce the risk of paying hefty fines for being noncompliant.
Start with a business process improvement assessment
There are countless healthcare process automation tools to choose from. How do you decide which ones will move the needle for your healthcare business?
The best way to prioritize healthcare process automation projects is a business process improvement (BPI) assessment.
At MXOtech, our low-cost BPI assessment is a cost-effective way to assess where you should invest in healthcare automation technology.
A BPI assessment from MXOtech takes place in three steps:
- Onsite audit: A consultant comes onsite to interview your key staff members and learn about your existing workflows and organization. They document and analyze your current processes, systems and resources to uncover performance gaps and inefficiencies.
- ROI analysis: After auditing your processes, our technology experts develop a value-stream map to outline ways to extract higher ROI of time, workflow and resources from your technology solutions.
- BPI improvement roadmap: At the end of your BPI assessment, we present our recommended technology solutions and the pros and cons of each. From there, we develop a plan for you to execute in-house, with another vendor or with MXOtech.
Ready to cut costs and achieve greater productivity from your healthcare technology? Contact us today to schedule a free review with a BPI specialist.
Other articles you might find helpful: