When I decided to share my story at a technology marketing conference, I never imagined I would inspire so many people, become the spokesperson of the year and win a Porsche. I love driving the Porsche but my real success was overcoming my fear of presenting on stage. I challenged myself, I spent countless hours preparing, practicing and thinking about my 12 minute presentation. It needed to be concise, compelling, and inspiring.
Here are my 7 tips for creating a memorable and winning presentation:
- Tell a compelling story. Just like any good book, you need a beginning, middle and end. Keep it simple and focus on your key points.
- Connect with the whole room (people you know and the ones you don’t). Speak to everyone in the audience as if they are your grandmother, child, peer, or mentor.
- Have meaningful visuals. I'm not talking about a power point, a tangible item you can hold in your hand that represents the message you are trying to get across.
- Use analogies. It's easier for people to remember ideas and concepts if you can relate it to something simple that they already understand.
- Have key take-a-ways for each point. What's the one thing you want to highlight that everyone will remember from your story?
- Build connections before you present. People will listen and relate to someone they already know or have heard about.
- Speak from your heart and be yourself. There is no one else like you. Be yourself because the passion will come out.
I have a passion for helping people achieve their dreams. Whether it’s supporting other entrepreneurs, helping her clients grow their business through technology, or assisting in staff development – I truly care about helping others reach their goals.
That’s why I enjoy sharing my experiences through public speaking. Interested in having me come to your conference or symposium, or participate in a panel discussion or interview? Details at joannamirov.com.